Child/Family Counselling sessions are offered in-person at the Vancouver location, or online through video-conferencing.
Building rapport with your child is the important first step to addressing concerns or challenges your child may be facing. Together we will address topics or explore thoughts and feelings through play or art activities. Sessions may also include education, and building a toolbox of skills to address future challenges (mindfulness, emotional regulation and body awareness).
Sessions may also include problem-solving with parents and the child, as well as looking at adjustments that could be made to the child’s environment to best suit their individual needs ( for example: incorporating more sensory input/activities, developing family rhythms, adjusting daily routines, sleep hygiene improvements)
Areas of Experience/Practice
- understanding child’s behaviour
- medical trauma, navigating health issues
- diabetes distress
- family dynamics
- improving communication and connection
- adjusting to change or new realities
- processing grief and loss
- addressing symptoms of anxiety/depression
- bullying and confidence
- improving parenting skills
- coparenting pre/post separation
- parenting child with a disability
- parenting a child with chronic illness
Together we will explore your family’s unique dynamic, including how you communicate and relate to one another, as well as the history or the stories that your family carries. We will identify strengths and challenges and make adjustments together to bring about positive change. Family therapy may include individual, couple, as well as family sessions.
- cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- somatic experiencing
- play/art therapeutic interventions
- collaborative problem solving
- psycho-education and skill building
- family integrative therapy